This Recipe Makes ±30 Soji Balls
Soji Balls also known as Rava Ladoo is a South Indian sweetmeat. These sweetmeats are also popular in South Africa & is made on festive occasions.
This sweet treat needs some time to set in the refrigerator turning them into a fudge like texture which melts in your mouth & the almonds add a little crunch to it.
This treat is made with butter ghee, almonds, semolina, condensed milk for the richness & it also acts as a binding agent to mould them into balls – & a few other ingredients.
Soji Balls Ingredients:
- ½ cup + 1 teaspoon butter ghee (clarified butter), room temperature
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (thill)
- 385 grams condensed milk (1 tin)
- ½ teaspoon cardamom (elachi)
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- 1 ½ cups milk powder
- ¼ cup icing (confectionery) sugar
- 1 cup semolina
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- The butter ghee (clarified butter) should be at room temperature.
- Chop the almonds & set aside in a bowl. It shouldn’t be too fine, & not too chunky.
- Add the sesame seeds (thill) to a pan.
- Dry fry the sesame seeds for a minute or two on medium until it turns slightly brown. Remove from heat & set aside until ready to use.
- On very low heat, add in the 1 teaspoon of butter ghee (clarified butter) to a pot/pan.
- Swirl the pot so that the ghee coats the surface.
- Add in the semolina.
- Allow the semolina to cook for 5-6 minutes on low heat. Keep stirring the semolina so that it doesn’t burn or get browned.
- Once cooked, remove from heat.
- Empty the semolina into a bowl & allow it to cool completely.
- Next, add the ½ cup ghee to a pot/pan.
- On medium heat, add the chopped almonds to the ghee.
- Mix well, coating the almonds in the ghee & allow it to fry 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, the almonds should be slightly browned. Remove from heat & set aside until ready to use.
- Once the semolina has cooled, add it into a blender.
- Add the cardamom (elachi) powder to the blender.
- Blend for 1 minute until it’s much finer in texture.
- Empty the blended semolina into a mixing bowl.
- Add in the milk powder.
- Thereafter, add in the icing (confectionery) sugar.
- Add in the sesame seeds (thill).
- Mix well so that the dry ingredients are well incorporated.
- Next, pour in the almonds & ghee.
- Pour in the condensed milk.
- Mix well.
- The mixture should be of a thick consistency. When rubbed between your fingers, it should mould.
- Lightly grease a casserole or plate with spraying oil.
- Pinch off small pieces of the mixture & roll into balls in the palm of your hands. Place the balls into the casserole or plate.
- Place the casserole into the refrigerator for 20 minutes to firm up.
- Add the desiccated coconut to a bowl.
- Roll the balls once again & toss them into the desiccated coconut.
- Continue this process until all the balls are coated in coconut.
- Pop them back into the refrigerator for an hour so they can completely set.
- Plate & serve.
- These Soji Balls are perfect for Diwali or Eid gifting.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.