This Recipes Makes ± 12 Pieces
Shortbread Biscuits / Cookies are simple yet rich, melt-in-your-mouth baked treats that are perfect for tea-time.
These biscuits are best when they are fresh & of course made with good quality butter. If butter isn’t available, margarine may be used but keep in mind, you will not get the proper rich shortbread biscuits with margarine.
They are easy to make & can be shaped however you prefer. I went with the traditional shape because why not?
Also, these biscuits make for great gifts – simply place them into jars or containers or wrap them with some ribbons & they are good to go.
Shortbread Biscuits Ingredients:
- 200 grams butter or margarine
- 60 grams (¼ cup + 3 tablespoons) icing sugar (confectionery sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 280 grams (2 cups) all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons corn flour (maziena)
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup castor sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160° Celsius or 320° Fahrenheit.
- Make sure the butter or margarine is at room temperature.
- Add it into a mixing bowl.
- Add the icing sugar (confectionery sugar) to the butter or margarine.
- Cream together either using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla essence.
- Mix until the vanilla is well combined.
- Sift in the all purpose flour & the corn flour (maziena). Add in the salt.
- Thereafter, mix well until it forms a crumbly mixture.
- Use your hands to bring the dough together.
- Bring out a 15x15cm oven-proof casserole & grease with spraying oil.
- Next, add the dough to the casserole & press it down with your fingers until it fills the space in the casserole.
- Use a spatula or the back of a spoon & compress the dough into the casserole whilst smoothening out the surface.
- Use a knife & cut even lines horizontally & vertically to form the shapes of your biscuits.
- Use a fork & poke holes into each section.
- Place the casserole into the preheated oven & bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Once the biscuits are baked, remove from the oven & allow it to cool for at least 5 minutes. The biscuits need to firm up as they cool & if they are removed from the tray whilst hot, they will break.
- Once they are cooled, turn them over carefully & cut through them once again.
- Fill up a bowl with the castor sugar.
- Whilst the biscuits are still warm, toss them into the castor sugar.
- Enjoy these Shortbread Biscuits with a hot cuppa.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.