LEMON & POPPY SEED MUFFINS
This Recipe Makes 1 Dozen (12) Muffins
Lemon & Poppy Seed Muffins are by far my favourite type of muffins to have anytime of day. These muffins are really yum & easy to prepare.
I was first introduced to these muffins via the Woolworths store & fell in love with them ever-since childhood. I get my sudden craving for these delicious treats & of course who doesn’t love a good homemade muffin, especially if it leaves the home smelling like heaven.
The mix of poppy seeds with lemons just makes such a great combination.
I didn’t add any toppings to my muffins but you may prepare a lemon zest icing & drizzle it over for a much richer muffin.
Lemon & Poppy Seed Muffins Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 110 grams (½ cup) butter, room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- zest of 1 large lemon or 2 small lemons
- 50 ml milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 356°F.
- Add the all-purpose flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda & baking powder to a bowl.
- Thereafter, add in the poppy seeds.
- Mix well & set aside.
- Grate the zest of the lemon/s.
- Make sure the butter is softened at room temperature.
- To another bowl. add the brown sugar.
- Add the butter to the sugar.
- Crack in the eggs & pour in the vegetable oil.
- Pour in the vanilla essence.
- Next, add in the plain yoghurt.
- Add in the lemon zest.
- Mix well.
- Pour the flour mixture into the wet mixture.
- Fold until well combined.
- Once combined, you will notice the mixture to be thick. Add in the milk.
- Give it a quick mix.
- Line a muffin tray with muffin liners.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin liners.
- The batter is thick, so smooth out the tops with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Stick a toothpick, skewer or knife into one of the muffins, if it comes out clean then the muffins are ready. If there is batter on it then bake for a few more minutes until done.
- Carefully remove these Lemon & Poppy Seed Muffins from the muffin tray & place them onto a cooling rack.
- Once these muffins are cooled, you may drizzle it with some lemon icing if preferred.
- Enjoy these Lemon & Poppy Seed Muffins with a hot cuppa.
- Store them in an airtight container for up to a week.
- The insides should be fluffy.