COCONUT COATED LAMINGTONS
This Recipe Makes 16 Lamington Squares
These Coconut Coated Lamingtons are great for tea time snacks, events or just as a simple dessert for any occasion.
Most people prefer either just the pink syrup or chocolate syrup, I am a fan of both so below I have both syrup recipes.
Coconut Coated Lamingtons Ingredients:
For the chocolate syrup:
- 8 tablespoons icing sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 4 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons butter
For the pink syrup:
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- drop of pink food colouring
- 2 tablespoons rose water (optional)
For the sponge cake:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 100 grams (8 tablespoons) butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups castor sugar
- desiccated coconut as needed
- Firstly, prepare the chocolate syrup. Add the butter to a pot or saucepan & allow to melt on medium heat.
- Next, add in the cocoa powder.
- Add in the icing sugar & the milk.
- Mix well until combined. Lower the heat & stir continuously until the syrup thickens. Turn off heat & set aside.
- Next, prepare the pink syrup. Add the water & sugar to a pot or saucepan on medium heat.
- Stir until sugar dissolves & then bring the mixture to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Once the mixture is done boiling for 10 minutes, it should be slightly thicker. Turn off the heat & add in the rose water & the pink food colouring. Stir & set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius or 356° Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the cake batter by firstly adding the butter to a mixing bowl.
- Next, add in the castor sugar.
- Cream the butter & the castor sugar using either a hand mixer or a wooden spoon.
- Crack in one egg.
- Mix until combined.
- Crack in the other egg.
- Mix until combined.
- Add in the all purpose flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda & the salt.
- Lightly fold together until somewhat combined – do not over mix.
- Thereafter, add in the vegetable oil, vanilla essence & the milk.
- Mix until all the ingredients are combined & forms a cake batter without over mixing.
- Prepare a baking tin by greasing it with a little spray & bake or butter.
- Next, pour the cake batter into the prepared baking tin.
- Bake for 30-35 minute at 180° Celsius or 356° Fahrenheit.
- Allow the cake to cool before removing it from the baking tin. Once cooled, place onto a board.
- Using a big knife, carefully cut the cake vertically into long strips.
- Then, cut it horizontally to create small squares.
- Add some dessicated coconut to a bowl.
- Prep the dessicated coconut, the chocolate syrup & a plate on your working station.
- Pierce a fork through one of the cake squares or you may simply use your hands for this process & dunk the cake into the chocolate syrup.
- Thereafter, dunk the chocolate coated cake into the dessicated coconut, covering it on all sides.
- Set aside on a plate & continue the same process for half of the cake to coat in chocolate syrup or you can double the chocolate syrup recipe & coat all the cake in chocolate if you do not want to make the pink coated lamingtons.
- Next, it’s time to make the pink lamingtons. Prep the pink syrup, the dessicated coconut & a plate on your working station.
- Pierce a fork through one of the cake squares or you may simply use your hands for this process & dunk the cake into the pink syrup.
- Set aside on a plate & continue the same process for the remaining cake to coat in pink syrup or you can double the pink syrup recipe & coat all the cake in pink if you do not want to make the chocolate coated lamingtons.
- Plate & serve this delicious Coconut Coated Lamingtons with a glass of milk or a beverage of your choice.
- Store this Coconut Coated Lamingtons in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 1 week.