This Recipe Makes ± 70 Medium Biscuits
Burfee Biscuits (Cookies) are such a delicious alternative to Burfee, Their super easy to make & will leave your home smelling absolutely amazing.
They are flop proof & can be shaped & topped according to your preference.
Burfee Biscuits Ingredients:
- 250 grams butter / margarine, room temperature
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons elachi (cardamom) powder
- ¾ cups icing (confectionery) sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn flour (maziena)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ¼ cup milk powder (Klim)
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- drop each of selected food colourings
- 80 grams white chocolate
- ½ teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius.
- Chop the almonds or get prepacked nibbed almonds from a spice store.
- Divide the chopped/nibbed almonds into separate bowls, depending on how many colours will be used to tint them. Add a drop of food colouring & mix well. I divided them into two parts & tinted them with yellow & pink food colouring.
- Make sure the butter / margarine is at room temperature.
- Add it to a mixing bowl.
- Add in the icing (confectionery) sugar.
- Cream the butter / margarine & the icing (confectionery) sugar. This can be done by hand using a wooden spoon or with an electric mixer.
- Pour in the vegetable oil.
- Give it a mix.
- Thereafter, add in the all-purpose flour.
- Add in the milk powder.
- Next, add the corn flour (maziena).
- Then add in the elachi (cardamom) powder.
- Mix using a wooden spoon.
- Next, use your hands to bring the dough together.
- This dough does dry out so divide them into two portions.
- Using one portion at a time, flatten with your hands & place on a working surface.
- Use a rolling pin & roll out the dough leaving about 2-3 centimeters height in them.
- Now they can be cut out into shapes of your choice, using biscuit (cookie) cutters.
- Place the cut out dough onto a baking tray.
- Bake them for 8-10 minutes in the preheated oven at 180° Celsius.
- Carefully remove the biscuits from the hot tray onto a cooling rack & allow them to cool for a few minutes. Thereafter, transfer the biscuits onto paper – this will make clean up easier.
- Allow these Burfee Biscuits to completely cool before decorating them.
- Once the biscuits are cool, break the white chocolate & place into a microwave safe bowl. Add in the vegetable oil.
- Place the bowl into the microwave & heat for 30 seconds.
- Remove after 30 seconds & give it a mix.
- The chocolate should still be solid. Place it back into the microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave & mix again.
- The chocolate should be completely melted & smooth.
- Using a teaspoon, spoon some of the chocolate whilst still warm & drizzle it over the biscuits.
- I prefer doing this in one motion to keep the design looking neat.
- Before the chocolate hardens, sprinkle some of the tinted almonds over the biscuits.
- If you do not have almonds or have a nut allergy, the nuts may be omitted.
- These Burfee Biscuits are ready to be plated & served.
- Store these Burfee Biscuits in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- They make for beautiful gifts or eid & diwali parcels.
- If you enjoyed these Burfee Biscuits, you may also enjoy these varieties of biscuits (cookies).