This Recipe Makes ± 30 Fritters
A fritter is basically a portion of batter that is fried. Fritters can be filled with a variety of things. They are prepared in both sweet & savory varieties.
Pumpkin Fritters Ingredients:
- 2 cups pumpkin or butternut
- Pinch of salt
- 200 ml milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon elachi (cardamom) powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- For this recipe I have used butternut instead of pumpkin.
- Carefully cut off the peel of either the butternut or pumpkin & then chop the flesh into small cubes. You just need 2 cups for this recipe, the remaining cubes can be frozen & used for another time or another recipe that requires butternut or pumpkin, eg. Pumpkin Curry or Fried Butternut.
- Place the fleshy cubes into a medium sized pot.
- Fill the pot with some water & bring the butternut/pumpkin to a boil. Boil until the pumpkin/butternut is soft – test by poking it with a fork or a knife, it should slide through easily.
- Once the butternut/pumpkin is cooked, drain in a strainer to remove any excess water.
- Once drained, transfer to a bowl & using a fork or a masher, mash up the butternut/pumpkin.
- Thereafter, add in the brown sugar.
- Mix well.
- Then add in the baking powder, elachi (cardamom) powder, cinnamon powder & vanilla essence.
- Thereafter, drop in the flour.
- Roughly mix together.
- Lastly, pour in the milk.
- Combine to form a batter. If the batter is too weak, simply add in more flour & if the batter is too thick just add in more milk.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a small deep pot.
- Test the heat of the oil by dropping in a little batter, if it sizzles then the oil is hot enough to begin frying the fritters.
- Using your hand, grab a little batter & carefully drop in balls of the batter into the hot oil. You can also use a tablespoon but this might not allow it to form a rounded shape.
- Fry the fritters on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side until golden.
- Once they are fried, remove & place on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot as is or enjoy by rolling them in cinnamon sugar mix or a delicious caramel sauce.
- It’s best to finish these Pumpkin Fritters once fried because when kept away they tend to get soft & soggy.