This Russian Recipe Serves 3-4
This dish is super easy to prepare & it is kid friendly too. If you haven’t tried this Russian favorite as yet, then you have got to add it to your “to make list“.
Beef Stroganoff Ingredients:
- 250 grams portabellini mushrooms
- 400 grams tenderized steak
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- milk as needed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon steak spice/seasoning
- thyme for garnishing (optional)
- pasta of your choice for serving (optional)
- Firstly, bring out the steak. It is best to use tenderized steak for this recipe.
- Slice the steak into thin strips & place into a bowl.
- To the steak, add salt & black pepper to taste. Add garlic powder & the steak spice/seasoning.
- Mix well using your hands as this allows for the spices to be thoroughly rubbed into the steak.
- Peel & chop the onion.
- Next, bring out the mushrooms. I have used portabellini mushrooms – their just a smaller version of portabello mushrooms. If these aren’t available, then any type of mushrooms will do.
- Rinse & slice the mushrooms. I did not remove the outer peel as this is where most of the flavor comes from.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized pot on medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the seasoned steak strips.
- Mix well & allow to saute for 6-8 minutes.
- Once the steak is cooked, it will turn brown in colour.
- The steak will sweat out excess water.
- Remove the cooked steak from the pot, without any of the excess water, Tongs may be used for this step. Place the steak into a bowl & set aside.
- The water should be remaining in the pot. To that, add in the onions.
- Thereafter, add in the mushrooms.
- Mix well.
- Allow to saute until soft for ±5 minutes.
- Next, add in the butter.
- As the butter melts, add in the flour.
- Mix well until all the flour is absorbed.
- Gradually pour in the milk & stir. Fresh cream may be used but I find that it curdles quickly, so I prefer using milk insread.
- As the mixture thickens, keep adding milk & stir to reach a saucy consistency.
- Once the desired consistency is reached, add in the cooked steak that was set aside earlier.
- Mix well & allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add salt to taste & stir.
- Turn off the heat.
- Plate & serve. I have served this Beef Stroganoff with Penne Pasta..
- Garnish with thyme (optional).
- The Beef Stroganoff will thicken even more once cold, to reheat it, simply add more milk to it on the stove top & allow it to weaken.
- It may also be eaten as is or with rice or noodles.