This Pasta Recipe Serves 4
It is really easy to prepare, especially if you’re having guests over. Other veggies such as mushrooms & bell peppers may be added but I have kept this recipe simple.
Prawn Linguine Ingredients:
- 400 grams prawns
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind
- ½ lemon
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 250 grams Pasta Joy linguine
- ¼ cup chopped parsley or coriander (dhania)
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 onion
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ lemon
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried sweet basil
- Grate the rind of a lemon, equivalent to 1 tablespoon.
- Slice the lemon into 2 halves.
- Peel & chop the onion.
- Peel & chop the garlic cloves.
- Finely chop the parsley or coriander (dhania).
- Devein & rinse prawns.
- Season prawns with salt, black pepper & ½ of a freshly squeezed lemon.
- Mix well.
- Heat olive oil in a pot on medium heat & add in the prawns.
- Spread out the prawns evenly.
- Allow the prawns to fry for ±10 minutes.
- Once they are cooked they should be pink in colour, If they are a bright white then they are overcooked.
- Scoop them out of the pot & set aside in a bowl.
- Next, add the butter to the same pot that the prawns fried in. leaving it on medium heat.
- Once the butter melts, add in the chopped onions.
- Thereafter, add in the red chili flakes & the chopped garlic.
- Mix well & allow onions to saute until translucent.
- Thereafter squeeze in the other ½ of lemon & stir.
- Next, add in the flour.
- Mix well & then pour in the milk. Cream may be used instead of milk but I prefer milk as it doesn’t curdle as quick as cream does.
- Mix well.
- Turn down the heat to low & allow the sauce to thicken.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add in the paprika, sweet basil, oregano & salt to taste.
- Give it a good mix & set aside.
- In another pot, add enough water. Bring the water to a boil.
- Once the water reaches a boil, add salt to taste & the linguine. I have used Pasta Joy linguine for this recipe. Thereafter, add in the 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- When the ends of the linguine softens in the boiling water, gently whirl the top half so that it is fully submerged in the water. Allow to boil until al dente.
- Once the pasta is cooked, remove from the heat & drain into a colander.
- Place the pot of sauce back onto the stove at low heat. Add in the prawns, chopped parsley or coriander (dhania) & the lemon rind.
- Add in the drained linguine pasta.
- Gently mix until everything is well combined.
- Plate & garnish with mint or parsley.
- This Prawn Linguine stores for up to a week in the refrigerator.