INSTANT POT SUGAR BEANS CURRY WITH POTATOES
This Indian Recipe Serves 2-3
Instant Pot Sugar Beans Curry With Potatoes is my quick & easy way of cutting down the time to make this delicious meal.
Usually on the stove-top, Sugar Beans can take up to 2-4 hours to boil, depending on the store it was purchased from & the quality of the beans, whereas in the Instant Pot, it literally takes only 55 minutes to become soft.
Sugar Beans (regularly known as Pinto Beans) is a famous dish in South Africa. It is regularly served at pre-wedding capacities & most family social occasions. It is likewise prevalent in Bunny Chows.
Instant Pot Sugar Beans Curry With Potatoes Ingredients:
Pressure Cooking Sugar Beans:
- 1 cup sugar beans (pinto beans)
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 ½ cups (600 ml) water
For The Curry:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 star aniseed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- ¼ teaspoon fennel (soomph) seeds
- 1 tomato
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander (dhania) powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera) powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3 tablespoons chili powder/masala
- 2 potatoes
- fresh coriander (dhania) for garnishing
- water as needed
- Plug in your Instant Pot, the display should read “OFF”.
- Add the Sugar Beans (Pinto Beans) to a bowl.
- Sift through the dried beans to remove stones or blemished pieces & give it a rinse.
- Add the beans to the Instant Pot.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add the vegetable oil & pour in the 2 ½ cups (600 ml) of water.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot & turn the anti-blockage vent (steam release handle) to “SEALING”.
- Press the “Pressure Cook” button. Press the button again to set the pressure level to “MORE” on the display.
- Next, use the “- or +” buttons & set the cooking time to 00:55 (55 minutes).
- The Instant Pot should display “ON” until the pressure builds up. Once the pressure builds up, the “float valve” will pop up – when it pops up, do not attempt to open the lid! Thereafter, the 55 minute timer will count down on the screen.
- After the 55 minutes are over. Press “CANCEL” on your Instant Pot.
- Turn the anti-blockage vent (steam release handle) to “VENTING” & allow the steam to release.
- Once the “float valve” sinks in, it is safe to open the lid.
- The beans should be soft when you break into it.
- Strain the beans in a colander & give it a rinse to clean out the brown coloured water. Set aside until ready to use.
- Rinse out the inner stainless steel pot & have it ready for the next steps.
- Peel & chop the onion.
- Rinse & blend the tomato.
- Peel & cut the potatoes into quarters.
- Press the “SAUTÉ” button the Instant Pot. Press on it again until the heat level is at “NORMAL”. The display should pre-select to 00:30, but it is fine at whichever time because it may be canceled whenever you are done sautéing.
- Next, pour in the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add in the onions, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, star aniseed, cumin (jeera) seeds, fennel (soomph) seeds & the cloves.
- Mix well. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Once the onions are translucent, add in garam masala, cumin (jeera) powder, coriander (dhania) powder, red chili flakes, chili powder/masala, turmeric powder & ginger & garlic paste.
- Mix well.
- Add in the blended tomato, salt to taste & curry leaves.
- Mix & allow the tomatoes to cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add in the potatoes & pour in a little water.
- Give it a stir so that the potatoes are coated in the spices.
- Next, place a lid over the Instant Pot whilst on the sauté mode. I do not have the Instant Pot lid so I used a lid that I had on hand.
- Allow the potatoes to cook until soft.
- Thereafter, add in the cooked beans.
- Pour in very little water.
- Gently mix until everything is combined.
- Cover with a lid once more & allow the beans to infuse flavours for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, give it a quick stir.
- Press “CANCEL” on your Instant Pot, this will turn off the “SAUTÉ” mode.
- Empty out into a serving bowl & garnish with freshly chopped coriander (dhania).
- Serve this Instant Pot Sugar Beans Curry With Potatoes with bread, rice, puris or rotis.