This Indian Recipe Serves 1-2
Bhindi Fry is an Indian vegetarian dish. It is a quick & easy meal which is very nutritious. This meal is also vegan friendly.
Bhindi is the Indian term for this long, green & slimy vegetable. It is often referred to as Okra, Ladies’ Fingers, Ochro or Bamya (Arabic).
This vegetable can be prepared however you prefer, be it as a curry, deep fried or simply fried in a pan with spices until crunchy.
Bhindi Fry Ingredients:
- 300 grams Bhindi (Okra)
- ½ onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger & garlics paste
- 3 green chilies
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom (elachi) powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander (dhania) powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- Peel & chop the onion.
- Rinse & slit green chilies in halves.
- Bring out the Bhindi (Okra).
- Give it a good rinse.
- Thereafter, cut the Bhindi (Okra) into bite sized pieces & discard of the stems.
- On medium heat, add the vegetable oil to a wide pan, followed by the chopped onions, green chilies & the cumin (jeera) seeds.
- Next, add in the ginger & garlic paste & turmeric powder.
- Mix well.
- Allow to sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add in the sliced Bhindi (Okra).
- Add the cardamom (elachi) powder, chili powder, red chili flakes, coriander (dhania) powder & salt to taste.
- Mix well ensuring that all the Bhindi (Okra) is coated in the spices.
- Turn the heat up to high & allow the Bhindi (Okra) to fry.
- Be sure to give it a stir every now & again so that it doesn’t burn.
- Once the Bhindi (Okra) has reached your desired crispiness, turn off the heat.
- This Bhindi Fry is ready to be served.
- Serve with bread, roti or enjoy as is.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.