MINCE CURRY WITH POTATOES
This Indian Recipe Serves 2-4
Mince Curry With Potatoes is just one of the many variations that this curry can be prepared. With this recipe you will have a wonderful wholesome meal without a lot of exertion!
This curry is most common in the Indian homes of South Africa & it is super easy to make.
Ground beef/lamb, minced meat, mince, is a ground meat made of beef or lamb that has been finely chopped with a huge blade or a meat processor/meat grinder. It is used in various recipes.
Mince Curry With Potatoes Ingredients:
- 500 grams ground beef/lamb (mince)
- salt to taste
- 2 green chilies
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 star aniseed
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- ½ teaspoon fennel (soomph) seeds
- few sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera) powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon cardamom (elachi) powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 ½ tablespoons chili powder/masala
- 1 ½ teaspoons ginger & garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-2 potatoes
- fresh coriander (dhania) for garnishing
- ¼ cup coriander (dhania)
- ¼ cup mint
- Defrost mince (ground beef/lamb), give it a quick rinse & set aside. (Over rinsing mince can cause it to become mushy & powder like when cooking – most people tend to do. You wouldn’t rinse your burger patties vigorously, so please avoid doing this to mince).
- Peel & chop the onion.
- Rinse & slit green chilies down the middle – this prevents it from bursting whilst cooking.
- Rinse & blend tomatoes.
- Place a pot on the stovetop on medium-high heat. Pour in the vegetable oil, drop in the chopped onions, slit green chilies & a few sprigs of thyme.
- Thereafter, add in the star aniseed, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, cumin (jeera) seeds & the fennel (soomph) seeds.
- Give it a stir & allow it to simmer until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the turmeric powder, red chili flakes, cardamom (elachi) powder, garam masala, cumin (jeera) powder, coriander (dhania) powder, chili powder/masala & the ginger & garlic paste.
- Mix & allow the spices to sauté for 30 seconds – careful not to burn the spices.
- Add in the blended tomatoes.
- Mix well & add in the curry leaves.
- Cover with a lid & allow the tomatoes to cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add in the mince (ground beef/lamb), salt to taste, ¼ cup of coriander (dhania) & ¼ cup mint.
- Mix well – do not add any water.
- Cover with a lid & allow the mince to cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, give it a stir & break up any chunks of mince with a spoon.
- Cover with a lid & allow to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Peel & cut the potatoes into small cubes – this will allow them to cook faster.
- Add the potatoes to the mince.
- Mix well, coating the potatoes in the spices. Very little water may be added only if necessary.
- Tuck the potatoes under the mince, cover with a lid & allow the potatoes to cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are soft, turn off the heat. Garnish with fresh coriander (dhania) & plate.
- Serve this Mince Curry With Potatoes with rice, bread or roti.