MINCE CURRY WITH BOILED EGGS AND POTATOES
This Indian Recipe Serves 2-4
Mince Curry With Boiled Eggs And Potatoes is just one of the many variations that this curry can be prepared. With this recipe you will have a wonderful wholesome meal without a lot of exertion!
This curry is most common in the Indian homes of South Africa & it is super easy to make. The blend of the boiled eggs in the mince gives this curry a creamy taste.
Ground beef/lamb, minced meat, mince, is a ground meat made of beef or lamb that has been finely chopped with a huge blade or a meat processor/meat grinder. It is used in various recipes.
Mince Curry With Boiled Eggs And Potatoes Ingredients:
- 500 grams ground beef/lamb (mince)
- salt to taste + additional ½ teaspoon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon jeera powder
- 1 star aniseed
- ½ teaspoon jeera seeds
- 1 teaspoon dhania powder
- 2 tablespoons chillii powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 ½ tomatoes, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- fresh dhania (coriander) for garnishing
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 3-4 large eggs
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2-3 potatoes
- Defrost mince (ground beef/lamb), rinse & set aside.
- In a small pot, add water & ½ teaspoon salt. Place eggs in the salted water, cover the pot with a lid & bring to a boil.
- (Click here for instructions on how to properly hard boil eggs).
- Once the eggs are cool, peel off the shells & set the boiled eggs aside.
- Chop onion & set aside.
- Chop tomatoes & set aside.
- Peel potatoes, cut into quarters & place into a bowl of water until ready to use.
- Heat the oil in a pot & add in the onions, followed by the bay leaves, star aniseed, cinnamon stick, curry leaves, thyme & jeera seeds.
- Simmer until onions are translucent & then add in ground spices – garam masala, dhania powder, jeera powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder & masala.
- Mix & add a dash of water if the spices tend to stick to the surface of the pot. Add in the ginger & garlic paste & simmer spices for 30 seconds without allowing the spices to burn.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes.
- Mix well & cook tomatoes on medium heat until soft. (±10 minutes) & forms a gravy.
- Add in the mince (ground beef/lamb).
- Add in the potatoes, making sure to discard of the water it had been resting in.
- Mix well & allow to cook for 20 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Add salt to taste.
- When the potatoes are cooked, slice the boiled eggs in halves & gently place into the pot.
- Garnish with fresh dhania (coriander).
- Serve this Mince Curry With Boiled Eggs And Potatoes with rice, bread or roti.
- Alternatively, the eggs or potatoes can be removed.