MINCE AND CAULIFLOWER CURRY
This Indian Recipe Serves 2-4
Mince And Cauliflower Curry is just one of the many variations that this curry can be prepared. This alternative allows you to avoid adding potatoes which can be unhealthy at times.
This curry is most common in the Indian homes of South Africa & it is super easy to make. The blend of the cauliflower in the mince gives this curry an amazing taste.
Mince, ground beef/lamb, minced meat, is a ground meat made of beef or lamb that has been finely chopped with a huge blade or a meat processor/meat grinder. It is used in various recipes.
Cauliflower is one of a few vegetables in the species Brassica oleracea in the class Brassica, which is in the family Brassicaceae. It is a yearly plant that duplicates by seed. Ordinarily, just the head (the white curd) is eaten. The cauliflower head is made out of a white inflorescence meristem – also known as florets. Cauliflower heads take after those in broccoli, which varies in having blossom buds.
Mince And Cauliflower Curry Curry Ingredients:
- 1 kg ground beef/lamb (mince)
- salt to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon cumin (jeera) powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander (dhania) powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3 sprigs thyme
- fresh coriander (dhania) for garnishing
- 1 small or ½ large cauliflower
- Rinse mince (ground beef/lamb) & set aside in a bowl.
- Carefully break off florets of the cauliflower, rinse & set aside in a bowl.
- Peel & chop onions.
- Chop or blend/grate the tomatoes. If they are chopped, it will take a bit longer to cook them, therefore I always prefer blending my tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a pot, on medium-high heat, preferably in a wide pot so that when the cauliflower is added, it will cook evenly. Add in the onions, thyme & curry leaves.
- Mix & allow to simmer until the onions are translucent.
- Next, add in the garam masala, coriander (dhania) powder, cumin (jeera) powder, turmeric powder, chili powder & the ginger & garlic paste.
- Mix & simmer for a few seconds.
- Add in the chopped or blended/grated tomatoes.
- Mix & allow the tomatoes to cook for 5 minutes. Add a little water only if necessary.
- Thereafter, add in the mince (ground beef/lamb) & salt to taste.
- Mix well & cook the mince for 5 minutes until slightly browned.
- Next, add in the cauliflower florets.
- Mix well, coating all of the florets in the spices.
- Add a little water & cover the pot with the lid. Leave it on medium heat & allow for the cauliflower to cook until soft.
- After about 10 minutes, check on the cauliflower, if it is still hard, then allow it to cook for a few more minutes.
- When the cauliflower is soft, allow the excess liquid to evaporate on low heat as this curry is meant to be more on the drier side. Do not over mix as the cauliflower can break & end up mushy.
- Once the excess liquid has dried up, turn off the heat & garnish with coriander (dhania).
- Plate & serve whilst hot.
- This Mince And Cauliflower Curry goes well with white bread, butter naan or rotis.
- Stores in the refrigerator for up to a week.