BUTTER BEANS CURRY
This Indian Food Recipe Serves 2-3
Butter Beans Curry is similar to the popular broad beans curry but the taste is of a much creamier & buttery flavour.
Butter beans are also known as Lima beans because of their starchy yet buttery texture, lima beans have a sensitive flavor that supplements a wide assortment of dishes. Butter Beans Curry is known as Vaal nu Shaak in Gujarati. Although fresh lima beans are often difficult to find, they are worth looking for in the summer & fall when they are in season. Dried & canned lima beans are available throughout the year.
The pod of the lima bean is flat, oblong and slightly curved, averaging about three inches in length. Inside the case are the two to four level kidney-formed seeds that we call lima beans. The seeds are by & large cream or green in shading, albeit certain assortments highlight hues, for example, white, red, purple, dark colored or dark.
Lima beans/butter beans are useful for your well-being. For veggie lovers they are one of the best wellspring of proteins. They are additionally rich in dietary filaments.
Butter Beans Curry Ingredients:
- 2 cans of 410g Koo Butter Beans in Brine
- 1 teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 cloves
- salt to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star aniseed
- 1 teaspoon jeera seeds
- 2 large tomatoes, grated
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon jeera powder
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander (dhania) powder
- fresh coriander (dhania) for garnishing
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- Peel & chop the onion & set aside.
- Grate tomatoes using the fine side of the grater & set aside.
- Peel, wash & cut potatoes in quarters.
- Place potatoes in a bowl of water & set aside.
- Next, heat the oil in a large pot. Add in the chopped onions, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, jeera seeds, thyme, curry leaves, cloves & star aniseed.
- Braise until onions are translucent, then add in turmeric powder, dhania powder, jeera powder, garam masala & chilli powder.
- Allow the spices to simmer for a minute, add water if necessary. Thereafter add in the grated tomatoes & allow the tomatoes to cook for about 15 minutes.
- Once the tomatoes have cooked, drop in the potatoes, making sure to discard of the water that the potatoes were resting in.
- Add a little water, mix well & allow the potatoes to cook until soft & almost melting.
- When the potatoes are soft, open the cans of butter beans & empty them into the pot.
- Mix well. Add salt to taste & a little dhania (coriander), mix & allow the beans to simmer in the gravy for about 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh dhania (coriander).
- Serve this Butter Beans Curry with rice, roti, puri or bread & salads or pickle.
- Store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.