This Recipes Makes 16-20 Serving Squares
Mielie Cake also known as Mealie, Maize or Corn Cake is a delicious cake made with fresh mielies/mealies (corn). It is very easy to prepare & tastes even better whilst hot with a lashing of butter.
This cake can be prepared using sweetcorn but I prefer the fresh corn. It is sweet, moist & super delicious – if you haven’t tried it yet, I highly recommend you do so.
Mielie Cake Ingredients:
- 3 ½ cups mielies/corn (decobbed)
- 300 grams butter or margarine
- 1 ½ cups white granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon egg yellow (yellow food colouring)
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius or 356° Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 27 centimeter square oven-safe casserole or baking tray. I have used the Guzzini casserole
- Decob the mielies/corn.
- Place the kernels into a food processor & pulse until the kernels are ground but not too fine.
- To a microwavable bowl, add in 250 grams of butter or margarine.
- Pop the bowl of butter into the microwave & heat until the butter is melted. Set it aside as this will allow the butter to cool in the time being.
- To a mixing bowl, add in the all-purpose flour, baking powder & bicarbonate of soda.
- Thereafter, add in the white sugar & the salt.
- Mix well.
- To another bowl, crack in the eggs.
- Keep the egg yolk from another egg.
- Next, add the egg yolk to the bowl of eggs.
- Add the vanilla essence to the eggs.
- Add the yellow food colouring (egg yellow) to the eggs. This is optional as it will give a yellow hue to the cake. If you prefer the white cake then there is no need to add the food coloring.
- Beat the eggs using a whisk or a fork.
- Pour the egg mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients (flour).
- The butter should be a bit cooler now, pour it into the bowl.
- Mix until well combined.
- Next, add in the blended mielies (corn).
- Gently fold until combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased casserole/baking tray.
- Tap on the surface to release air bubbles & then bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden.
- Whilst the cake is still hot, add the remaining 50 grams of butter over & brush it on.
- Cut into squares & serve.
- Serve this Mielie Cake with butter.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.