This Recipe Makes ± 1 Dozen ( ± 12 Pieces)
These very elegant & beautifully flavoured custard biscuits (cookies) were introduced to me by my mum as she always prepared them for us. Custard biscuits are stunning shortbread’s having a fantastic texture yet delicately made with a custard powder blend.
These are also known as Vlakoekies to many Afrikaaners residing in South Africa.
Small & flavorful chomps of the most melt in-your mouth, custard treats ever. Simple to make, & they taste extraordinary!
Custard Biscuits Ingredients:
- 1 cup custard powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ cups cake flour
- 1 cup icing sugar + additional for decorating
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 250 grams butter, room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- Firstly, preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper or wax paper like I did & set aside.
- Crack two eggs in a bowl.
- Add the vanilla essence to the eggs.
- Beat eggs & vanilla essence with a fork until combined & set aside.
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Once sifted, add in the salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add in the butter & the icing sugar. Make sure that the butter is softened, if not then just stick it in the microwave for a few seconds. Be careful not to liquify the butter.
- Cream the butter & the icing sugar with a spoon. I prefer using a wooden spoon for this.
- Next, add in the beaten egg mixture to the bowl of creamed icing sugar & butter.
- Mix well & then drop in the sifted flour.
- Mix it a bit & thereafter drop in the custard powder.
- Stir well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Next, you may use a piping bag to make biscuits (cookies) into shapes, but the method I am using is much quicker. Pinch a golf ball size of dough with your hands.
- Roll lightly with your palms & place the dough on the lined baking tray.
- Next, using a fork, press down lightly on the biscuits. It will create lines on the dough & also press it down a bit, creating the biscuit shape.
- Place the shaped custard biscuits into the preheated oven & bake for 12-15 minutes.
- When the biscuits are done, remove from the oven.
- Set biscuits on a cooling rack. I have also lined the counter with wax paper which is directly under the cooling rack – this is for the decorating part.
- Allow the biscuits to cool before decorating.
- Once cooled you can serve it as is & skip the decorating.
- I prefer my custard biscuits with a dash of icing sugar over the top, so if you also prefer that then grab out your sifter & gently sift over a little icing sugar.
- Now they look super delicious & are ready to be eaten.
- The inside of the biscuit should be soft. Do bare in mind that they may look undone, but that’s just how the texture looks, trust me – their perfectly baked.
- To store these custard biscuits, simply line an airtight container with wax paper & gently lay the biscuits in. It can be stored for up to two weeks.
- Goes well with Turkish Coffee.