AIR FRYER CHOCOLATE CHIP SCONES
This Recipes Makes ± 12 Scones
Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Scones – yup you read that right! I love scones & my absolute favourite appliance right now is my Instant Vortex Air Fryer. I wanted to give the baking option a go on my Air Fryer & thought why not make some yummy scones, I also added in some chocolate chips because why not!
They are warm & so fresh that they melt in your mouth. I was actually shocked at how perfect they turned out. The plus side is that they baked twice as fast than in an oven which is fantastic!
Scones are fluffy cake like breads which are baked until golden. There are two ways to pronounce the word Scone, mainly “Skone” which is pronounced as the word tone & “Skon” which is pronounced as the word gone. Some say the word originates from the Dutch word ‘schoonbrot’, which implies beautiful bread, while others contend it originates from Stone of Destiny, where the Kings of Scotland were delegated. As indicated by Webster’s Dictionary, scones began in Scotland in the mid 1500s.
Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Scones Ingredients:
- 2 cups all purpose flour or cake flour
- ½ cup sour milk (maas) or plain yoghurt
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ cup icing sugar (confectionery sugar)
- 60 grams cold butter
- Make sure the butter or margarine is cold.
- Add the all purpose or cake flour to a mixing bowl.
- Add in the baking powder & salt.
- Thereafter, add in the icing (confectionery) sugar.
- Mix well.
- Add in the cold butter.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture using your fingertips. It should resemble a breadcrumb texture.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl.
- Pour in the vanilla essence & the vegetable oil.
- Beat together using a fork.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture.
- Thereafter, add in the sour milk (maas) or plain yoghurt.
- Mix until it comes together.
- Thereafter, use your hands to form it into a dough.
- Next, add in the chocolate chips.
- Mix the chocolate chips into the dough with your hands.
- Lightly flour a working surface.
- Place the dough onto the floured surface.
- Lightly dust some flour over the dough, use your hands to press down onto the dough, spreading it out. Thereafter, roll out the dough using a rolling pin.
- The dough should be about an inch thick.
- Use a cookie cutter or a glass & cut out as many shapes as you can.
- The remaining scraps of dough can be carefully folded together so that more shapes may be cut out. Try to work gently with it because if the dough is over handled, it may not rise as well.
- Place the shapes of the dough into the air fryer basket.
- Brush the milk onto the scones.
- Press the “Bake” button on the Instant Vortex Air Fryer (or “Air Fry” button on other models). Change the “Time” to 00:08 (08 Minutes) & change the “Temperature” to 180° Celsius. There is no need to Preheat the Air Fryer.
- Once the Air Fryer turns off, open up the tray & you now have gorgeous scones done in no time.
- Serve these Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Scones with a hot cuppa or some cold milk.
- They can also be served with a jam, cream, cheese or butter of your choice.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week, depending on the humidity.
- These Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Scones are super fluffy on the inside.