NO KNEAD FOCACCIA
This Recipe Makes 1 Large Focaccia
This No Knead Focaccia is so delicious & the aromas that fill your home are absolutely heavenly! I mean, who doesn’t love the smell of freshly baked bread, right?
Focaccia, pronounced “Fok-uch-chia” is an Italian flat bread, similar to a pizza base but softer, crispier, takes more time to rest & is drenched in olive oil. Yes, this recipe uses a lot of olive oil so be sure to use good quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) – quick tip:
Always look out for the SA Olive CTC seal on a bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO). This is a seal of confidence and it’s the guarantee that the producer is ‘committed to compliance’ in quality olive oil production. It confirms that the EVOO is 100% locally (South African) produced and is authentic Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
This focaccia is also perfect for sandwiches if you have leftovers that is.
No Knead Focaccia Ingredients:
- 4 cups all-purpose, bread or cake flour (I am using cake flour)
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar
- 10 grams instant yeast
- 150 ml lukewarm milk
- 2 tablespoons + additional extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ cups warm water
- flaky salt (optional)
- white sesame seeds (optional)
- black sesame seeds (optional)
- fresh rosemary (optional)
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 4 cloves garlic
- Add the flour to a mixing bowl.
- Add in the salt & granulated sugar.
- Add instant yeast (this yeast can be added directly to the dry ingredients without having to foam in water).
- Mix until all the dry ingredients are well combined.
- Next, pour in the 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Pour in the warm water. Make sure that the water is warm, if it is too hot it can kill the yeast & if it is too cold then it will not activate the yeast.
- Mix with a spoon or a spatula until the mixture forms a sticky dough.
- Scrape down the excess dough on the sides of the bowl.
- Drizzle over some extra virgin olive oil.
- Use a spoon or a spatula to fold the dough into the olive oil.
- Cover with cling/plastic wrap & leave in a dark place to rest for 5 hours. I usually pop it in a turned off oven or microwave or oven.
- After 5 hours, the dough should double in size.
- Remove the cling/plastic wrap.
- Grease a casserole or baking pan with olive oil. I drizzled some olive oil over & used a pastry brush to coat the casserole.
- Empty the rested dough into the greased casserole or baking tray.
- Lightly spread the dough out using your hands.
- Cover with cling/plastic wrap once again & allow the dough to rest for another 5 hours.
- Once the dough has rested, preheat the oven to 190° Celsius or 374° Fahrenheit.
- Remove the cling/plastic wrap.
- Drizzle over extra virgin olive oil.
- Lather your fingertips in the oil & use your fingers to dimple the dough, creating deep impressions by poking the dough all over.
- At this point you may add whatever toppings you prefer.
- I’ve topped this Focaccia with white sesame seeds.
- Some black sesame seeds.
- I also added some flaky salt.
- Finally, I topped it off with some fresh rosemary.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes until golden.
- Finely chop the garlic.
- Finely chop the parsley.
- Add the butter to a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat in the microwave for 20 seconds or until melted.
- Once the butter has melted, add in the chopped garlic.
- Add in the chopped parsley.
- Mix well.
- Brush the garlic butter over the Focaccia whilst it is still hot.
- Slice the Focaccia however you prefer.
- Serve as is or as side to any meal.
- These No Knead Focaccia are best eaten fresh but can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week, depending on the humidity. Alternatively, freeze for up to a month & reheat in the oven until crisp.
About SA Olive:
SA Olive is an association representing the common interests of the South African olive industry and is committed to supporting a healthy future, i.e. ensuring a healthy future for its members, healthy growth and development for the industry and a healthy lifestyle for all South Africans.