FISH ROE CHUTNEY
This Indian Food Recipe Serves 2
Fish Roe Chutney is a flavorful Indian dish prepared in a tomato based sauce. Fish Roe Chutney has been prepared for centuries in the Indian homes of South Africa. Most find it appalling to consume, whilst others cannot quite get enough.
Fish roes are the fully ripe internal egg masses in the ovaries of fish.
Fish Roe Chutney Ingredients:
- 500 grams fish roes (6-8 fish roes)
- ½ onion
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (manja)
- 4-5 tomatoes
- fresh coriander (dhania) for garnishing
- 1 teaspoon coriander (dhania) powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- 3-4 green chilies, slit
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3 sprigs sprig thyme
- Rinse fish roes.
- Peel & chop the onion.
- Rinse & slit green chilies.
- Rinse & blend or grate tomatoes.
- Place fish roes in a wide pan with a little water.
- Allow to steam on medium heat until fish roes are firm (around 10-15 minutes). Add more water if necessary.
- Once steamed, remove any excess water.
- Add a tablespoon of oil & fry the fish roes on both sides until browned.
- Once browned, remove from heat & set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium sized pot & add in the onions, green chilies, thyme & curry leaves.
- Mix & allow to simmer until onions are translucent.
- Add in the chili powder, turmeric powder & ginger & garlic paste.
- Mix well.
- Add in the blended or grated tomatoes.
- Mix well & allow tomatoes to cook for about 10 minutes.
- Thereafter, add in salt to taste & the sugar & mix well.
- Next, add in the fried fish roes.
- Gently stir, coating the fish roes with the chutney.
- Allow the fish roes to soak up the chutney & add in some flavour for about 5 minutes. Thereafter, turn off the heat.
- Plate & garnish with fresh dhania (coriander).
- Enjoy with rice, bread or roti or hard porridge (kali/sangiti).