DURBAN MASALA FRIED FISH
This Indian Food Recipe Serves 2-4
There are many variations to this recipe whereby spices may be added or omitted. This dish tastes even better if marinated & left overnight or a few hours to absorb all the flavours. But, if you’re hungry & can’t wait for such long periods of time then no stress, you can simply marinate it & fry it immediately.
Any firm white fish will do for this recipe. In Durban, we tend to use Barracuda or Shad but this choice is of availability.
Durban Masala Fried Fish Ingredients:
- 2 fish of your choice – I have used Shad
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon jeera powder (cumin powder)
- ½ teaspoon dhania (coriander) powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- ¼ lemon
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Rinse the fish under cold running water.
- For this recipe I have used Shad.
- Scale fish & make a cut along the bottom of the fish. Remove the intestines & entrails.
- Cut fish into pieces. I have removed the head & tails of the fish but if you enjoy those parts then you may keep them intact.
- Place the pieces of fish into a bowl.
- Add in the spices – salt, ground black pepper, chilli powder, jeera (cumin) powder, dhania (coriander) powder & red chilli flakes. Then add in the ginger & garlic paste. Squeeze the lemon juice into the bowl, discarding of the seeds. Pour in 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Mix well & allow to marinate for an hour or more. If you are in a hurry then skip the marinating process & continue with the next step.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, carefully place the marinated fish into the oil.
- Allow the fish to fry for about 3 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Thereafter, carefully turn the fish over & allow the other side to fry for about 3 minutes.
- After frying the fish, remove from the hot oil & set onto a plate.
- Plate your Durban Masala Fried Fish & serve whilst hot.
- Goes well as is or sandwiched in buttered bread. My favourite way to enjoy this fish is having it as a side with Yellow Split Pea Dhall & rice.
- To reheat, simply place it in the microwave for afew minutes.