This Breakfast Recipe Serves 1-2
Semolina porridge is a referred to as a cereal. It is boiled to produce a porridge; a popular brand of this is Taystee Wheat or Cream of Wheat. This porridge is most popular in South Africa, United States of America & Poland.
Growing up, I remember always troubling my late grandmother to prepare this porridge for me. I love it when the semolina grains are a bit swelled & feel like tiny beads in your mouth. If you haven’t tried it yet, give it a chance & trust me you will be preparing this very often.
The semolina is cooked in water, milk or a blend of the two. You can make it as thick or weak as you prefer & as sweet as you need.
It’s a healthy & warm start to the day, not forgetting, a very filling meal – although I can eat this meal all day long because that’s how good it tastes.
Semolina is coarse, refined wheat middlings of durum wheat essentially utilized as a part of making pasta & couscous.
Semolina Porridge Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup semolina (85 grams)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar (depending on how sweet you prefer it)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- In a medium sized pot, add in the semolina. I have used the Snowflake brand but you may use whichever brand you prefer.
- Next, add in the salt.
- Then add in the sugar.
- Pour in ½ cup of the boiling water.
- Thereafter, pour in the milk.
- Turn the stove on to medium high heat & begin stirring the mixture continuously with a whisk or a fork.
- After a minute, you will notice the mixture beginning to thicken.
- Pour in a little boiling water at a time & continue stirring for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the stove heat & pour in more milk or boiling water as per the consistency you prefer. Mix well.
- I prefer my Semolina Porridge a bit thick.
- Do a taste check for the sweetness & add more sugar if required.
- Empty contents of the pot into a bowl.
- Serve hot. If you happen to find a few lumps in your porridge, that’s perfectly normal. These are the tastiest bits that form when the porridge is’nr constantly mixed through on the stove-top.
- This Semolina Porridge can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days. To reheat, simply microwave or heat on a stove top & add a little milk to it.