This Recipe Makes ± 6 Crumpets
Fluffy Crumpets are sweet, delicious & quite fulling. This recipe is fairly simple to prepare & is always a great meal especially when you’re in a hurry.
A crumpet is a little frying pan cake which originated in the United Kingdom & is often eaten for breakfast or brunch with various toppings such as maple syrup, golden syrup, honey, fruits, chocolate syrup & many others.
Fluffy Crumpets Ingredients:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- vegetable oil as needed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 400 ml milk
- In a medium sized bowl, add the flour.
- Thereafter, add in the salt.
- Add in the baking powder.
- Next, add in the sugar – I prefer brown sugar as it gives the crumpets a lovely golden colour but you may use white sugar if desired.
- Mix well.
- Scoop the butter into a microwavable safe bowl.
- Microwave butter for about 30 seconds until melted. Remove from the microwave & allow to cool a bit.
- In another bowl, crack in the egg.
- When the melted butter has cooled, pour the butter into the egg & beat together using a fork.
- Next, pour in the egg & butter mixture to the flour mixture.
- Thereafter, pour in the milk.
- Mix well combining all the ingredients to form a batter.
- The batter should not be too thick or too weak. Add more flour if the batter is too weak & add more milk if the batter is too thick.
- Heat ½ teaspoon of vegetable oil in a small pan.
- When the oil is hot enough, spoon 3 tablespoons of batter into the oil & smooth it out with the back of the spoon.
- Allow to cook for a minute on medium to low heat & then carefully flip over.
- Allow this side to also cook for a minute or so.
- Remove from pan & plate. Check the first one if it is thoroughly cooked inside, if not then cook the rest for a bit longer.
- Continue doing the same with the remaining batter & stack each crumpet over another.
- Drizzle some maple or golden syrup over the Fluffy Crumpets if preferred.
- Serve these Fluffy Crumpets whilst hot with whatever toppings you desire.