AIR FRYER POTATO AND ONION PAKORAS
This Recipe Makes ± 10 Pakoras
I know what you’re going to say…how can pakoras be air fried? These Air Fryer Potato And Onion Pakoras are a healthier way of making them without deep frying in oil.
I must admit, I prefer frying pakoras in oil but these air fried ones taste just as good.
I have opted to using my Instant Vortex Plus Dual Air Fryer for this recipe so that I can make two things at once without having to wait.
Air Fryer Potato And Onion Pakoras Ingredients:
- 1 onion
- 3 potatoes
- 6 green chilies
- ½ cup chopped coriander (dhania)
- 2 cups chickpea (gram/chana/besan) flour
- salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder or masala
- ½ teaspoon coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- ± ½ cup cold milk
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger & garlic
- vegetable oil for brushing
- Peel & sliver the onion.
- Peel the potatoes & grate it into a bowl using the fine side of the grater.
- Squeeze the grated potatoes a little at a time into another bowl, using your hands. This will remove all the excess water which can be discarded.
- Rinse & finely chop the green chilies.
- Roughly chop the coriander (dhania).
- To a bowl, add in the chickpea (gram/chana/besan) flour.
- Thereafter, add in salt to taste, turmeric powder, coriander (dhania) powder, red chili flakes, chili powder or masala, baking powder, cumin (jeera) seeds & the crushed ginger & garlic.
- Add in the finely chopped green chilies.
- Add in the chopped coriander (dhania).
- Give it all a mix.
- Gradually pour in the milk. Please note, I always use milk when frying pakoras as it doesn’t absorb the oil – water can be used for this air fryer version because there is hardly any oil being used.
- Mix until it forms a thick batter.
- Divide the batter in half & place into separate bowls.
- To one bowl of batter, add in the slivered onions.
- Mix together with your hands until the onions are thoroughly coated in the batter.
- Add the grated potatoes to the other bowl of batter.
- Mix together using your hands.
- Brush or spray some oil onto the air fryer baskets (so the pakoras don’t get stuck) & add spoonful’s of the onion pakora into one basket & the potato pakora into the other basket.
- I’m using my Instant Vortex Plus Dual Air Fryer because it’s so much easier when you want to make two separate things at once.
- Brush or spray some oil over the pakoras.
- Pop the baskets into the air fryer & “Air Fry” for 10 minutes at 150° Celsius. Press “Sync Cook” so that both the baskets cook together at the same time.
- Once done, remove the baskets.
- Flip the pakoras over.
- Brush or spray oil to the other side of the pakoras.
- Pop the baskets back into the air fryer for a further 10 minutes at 150° Celsius.
- Once done, the pakoras should be golden & crisp.
- Plate & serve these Air Fryer Potato And Onion Pakoras with your favourite dipping sauce.