MINI CURRIED STEAK PIES
This Recipe Makes 12 Mini Pies
These Mini Curried Steak Pies are super easy to prepare. The dough is made from scratch without the use of yeast or pastry & then they are filled with a delicious steak curry & baked until golden.
Everyone is going to love these as they are mini pies & are ideal for a snack platter, a light lunch or supper.
Mini Curried Steak Pies Ingredients:
For the filling:
- 400 grams steak
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon jeera (cumin) seeds
- ¼ teaspoon jeera (cumin) powder
- 1 sprig thyme
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon dhania powder
- handful of fresh coriander (dhania)
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon giniger & garlic paste
For the dough:
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ± 3 cups warm milk
- 1 egg
- sesame seeds (optional)
- First, begin by preparing the steak curry so that it will cool before adding it to the dough.
- Rinse & cut the steak into small chunks.
- Peel & chop onion. Set aside.
- Rinse & dice tomatoes & set aside.
- In a medium sized pot, heat the vegetable oil on medium heat & add in the onions & thyme.
- Stir & add in the jeera (cumin) seeds. Allow the onions to simmer until translucent.
- Next add in the jeera (cumin) powder, dhania powder, garam masala, chilli powder, turmeric powder & ginger & garlic paste.
- Stir, simmer for 30 seconds & then add in the diced tomatoes..
- Stir & allow the tomatoes to cook for about 10 minutes until melted. Add a little water if the ingredients tend to stick to the surface of the pot,
- Once the tomatoes have cooked, drop in the steak chunks.
- Mix well & allow the steak to cook for about 20 minutes. Add water if necessary.
- Once the steak is cooked, add salt to taste.
- Thereafter, add in the fresh coriander (dhania).
- Mix well, turn off the heat & set aside to cool.
- Next, it’s time to start preparing the dough.
- Place the flour into a medium/large mixing bowl.
- Add in the salt & baking powder.
- Mix the dry ingredients & then add in the butter.
- Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour.
- Then add in the vegetable oil.
- Add in the milk & combine. It should form a dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead the dough until it is smooth & pliable. If the dough is wet & sticky then add more flour & if the dough is too stiff & dry then add more milk.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Roll out both of the dough pieces separately. Each one should be wide enough to cut out 12 circles which should be around 15 centimeters in diameter,
- Using a cutter or a rim of a glass, cut out the circular shapes. You should have 24 circles in total (12 circles from each of the rolled out dough).
- Remove the circular shapes & set aside.
- Grease a muffin tray with spray & cook or butter & then carefully place a circular shaped dough into the mold of the tray. make sure the dough covers the sides of the mold as well.
- Thereafter, fill the molds with the cooled steak curry.
- Now we go back to the remaining 12 dough circles. Take one at a time & smear water around the edges of the circles.
- Next, cover the curry molds with the water edged circles of dough. Press down, sticking both the bottom dough cuts and the top ones. This will keep the curry filling secure inside.
- Crack the egg in a small bowl.
- Whisk the egg.
- Brush the egg over all the uncooked pies.
- Use a fork & press into each mold to create holes on top of the dough. This will ensure that the pies bake evenly.
- Top with a little sesame seeds (optional).
- Bake the pies for 15 to 20 minutes at 180° Celsius until golden. Also note, you might want to put a tray under the muffin tray as excess oil may overflow whilst baking.
- Allow the pies to cool a bit before removing them from the muffin tray.
- Remove the Mini Curried Steak Pies from the muffin tray & place them on a paper towel to drain any excess oil.
- Serve hot.
- These Mini Curried Steak Pies also go well with a side of mash & gravy.
- Store them in an airtight container.
- They can also be frozen & reheated in the oven.