NAAN KHATTAI BISCUITS
This Indian Recipe Makes ± 24 Biscuits (2 Dozens)
Naan Khattai Biscuits – also spelled, Naan Khattay/Naan Khatai/ Naan Katai is an Indian biscuit infused with cardamom (elachi). These biscuits have a distinctive look to them with a few cracks here & there & almonds as their signature topper.
M mum often baked them on weekends & the aroma of these biscuits were absolutely incredible. It is also one of the favourites to bake during any festivities.
Naan Khattai Biscuits Ingredients:
- 200 grams butter / margarine, room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- 2 teaspoons cardamom (elachi) powder
- 2 tablespoons semolina
- ± 24 whole almonds
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper or wax paper & set aside.
- Make sure the butter / margarine is at room temperature & add it to a mixing bowl.
- Add in the castor sugar.
- Mix the butter / margarine & the castor sugar until smooth & creamy.
- Add in the cardamom (elachi) powder.
- Thereafter, add in the bicarbonate of soda & the baking powder.
- Then add in the semolina.
- Mix well.
- Next, add in the all purpose flour & a pinch of salt.
- Mix until a crumbly mixture forms. I tend to get my hands in there in order for the ingredients to combine well.
- Pinch off a small portion of the dough.
- Squeeze the dough in your hands until it is compressed together. Roll the dough between the palm of your hands to form a ball.
- Take an almond & lightly press it down in the middle of the ball. This will allow the biscuit to take shape as well.
- Place onto the lined baking tray.
- Complete the same process for the remaining dough.
- Bake them for 20 minutes in the preheated oven at 180° Celsius. These Naan Khattai Biscuits will not brown that much.
- Carefully remove the biscuits from the hot tray onto a cooling rack.
- Allow them to cool for a few minutes.
- Plate & serve.
- Store these Naan Khattai Biscuits in an airtight container for up to a month.