MOCHACHOS STYLE MEXICAN CHICKEN
This South African Recipe Serves 4-6
They are well known for their mexican food & cater for all the heat levels of flavour for your tastebuds. Mochachos launched their first restaurant in Pretoria, South Africa in 1994 but back then they were referred to as Mochachos Steak Villages. They were the first restaurant to offer South African citizens mexican food.
If you love their chicken as much as I do, then this recipe will have eating Mochachos ever so often. Of course no recipe will compare to the original Mochachos recipe but I had to experiment & come up with something as close as possible to their recipe.
Mochachos Style Mexican Chicken Ingredients:
- 1 whole chicken, with the skin intact
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chilli powder or paprika
- 1 tablespoon Baharat spice
- 1 ½ tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 ½ tablespoons Ina Paarman’s Braai & Grill Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- Cut the whole chicken into pieces, leaving the skin intact. Rinse & place into a bowl.
- Add in the salt, chilli powder, Baharat spice, hot sauce, Ina Paarman’s Braai & Grill Seasoning, vegetable oil & ginger & garlic paste. Note that the Baharat spice can be found in local Indian spice stores or Woolworths Food outlets. Ina Paarman’s Braai & Grill Spice can be found in any local grocer such as Pick ‘n Pay, Checkers, Shoprite, etc in the spice aisle.
- Mix well using your hands.
- Allow to marinade for an hour. (The more hours you allow it to marinate, the more the flavour will be added into the chicken).
- When the chicken has done marinating, set the oven to 150º Celsius.
- Next, place some foil onto a baking tray & spray over some spray & cook vegetable oil. Thereafter, place the marinated chicken over.
- Place the chicken into the oven & roast for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven & turn the chicken over. Place it back into the oven for another 30 minutes. If there is excess water on the tray, be sure to drain it out before putting the chicken back into the oven.
- Be sure to check on the chicken as the temperatures may vary with different makes of ovens. Do not allow the chicken to burn. I left the chicken for an hour in a conventional oven so that it is thoroughly cooked & tender at the same time. If a gas oven is being used then the cooking time of 30 minutes should be enough.
- Remove the chicken from the tray & plate.
- Serve this Mochachos Style Mexican Chicken whilst hot with your favourite sides (Nandos chicken livers, Spur Style Butternut Mash, Fried Butternut Squash, Spur Style Creamed Spinach).