This Recipe Makes 12 Rolls
Bread Rolls are a staple in most countries. They are cylindrical in shape which makes them perfect for hot dogs, dipping into soups or as a side to many roast dishes.
These rolls are easy to prepare & their even more delicious when hot with a thick layer of butter. If you’re a beginner at baking, try this recipe out & test your skills – I promise it is a flop proof recipe that will leave you wanting to bake more often.
Bread Rolls Ingredients:
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 10 grams instant yeast
- 150 ml lukewarm milk
- 80 ml lukewarm water
- 3 eggs
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 50 grams butter
- Firstly, be sure that the butter or margarine is soft at room temperature.
- Crack 2 eggs into a bowl.
- Beat eggs using a fork or a whisk & set aside.
- Add the flour & butter to a mixing bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips. It should resemble breadcrumbs.
- Add in the sugar, salt & the yeast.
- Mix well.
- Add in the beaten eggs.
- Pour in the lukewarm milk.
- Pour in the lukewarm water.
- Mix until it forms a dough.
- Place dough onto a floured surface.
- Knead for 10 minutes. The longer it is kneaded, the softer it will be.
- Lightly oil a bowl & pat excess oil onto the dough so it does not dry up. Place the dough into the bowl.
- Cover with cling/plastic wrap & leave in a dark place to rest for 1 hour or more. I usually pop it in a turned off oven or microwave.
- After an hour, the dough should double in size.
- Punch down dough & place onto a floured surface.
- Knead for a minute.
- Roll the dough into a log shape.
- Cut into 12 equal parts.
- Line a baking tray with wax/parchment paper.
- The dough should be a bit tacky, take one piece at a time & dunk it into some flour.
- Roll the dough out using a rolling pin.
- Fold & roll the dough in an upward motion – like a Swiss roll effect.
- Continue the same process for the rest of the dough pieces & place onto the prepared baking tray.
- Cover with a dish towel & allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius or 356° Fahrenheit.
- After 30 minutes of resting the rolls, they should be nice & puffy.
- Crack 1 egg into a bowl.
- Beat with a fork or a whisk.
- Brush the egg over the rolls.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Enjoy with a cup of hot tea, coffee or cocoa.
- These Bread Rolls are also perfect for hot dogs, Philly cheese steak rolls, Debonairs Chicken & Mushroom Subs or as a side.
- The inside of these rolls are super soft & fluffy.
- Store these buns in an airtight container for up to a week.