PERI PERI CHICKEN LIVERS
This South African Recipe Serves 2-4
Peri Peri Chicken Livers is a spicy & gravy fulled dish. It is enjoyed as a starter, main or as a side dish.
It may not suite everyone’s pallets but if you try preparing it this way, I guarantee you will devour it.
Peri Peri Chicken Livers Ingredients:
- 500 grams chicken livers
- 1 bottle Nandos Peri Peri sauce – (I used the extra hot)
- 2 teaspoons ginger & garlic paste
- 1 onion, diced
- salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 250ml fresh cream
- 2 teaspoons Kashmiri chilli powder (optional)
- Rinse & clean the chicken livers.
- Once rinsed & cleaned, empty into a bowl.
- Heat a pot on medium heat.
- Once heated, drop in the bowl of chicken livers.
- Add the ginger & garlic paste & a little water & allow it to steam.
- After about 3-5 minutes of steaming, break with a spoon to check if it has been cooked throughout.
- If it has been fully cook then break the larger pieces of livers with a spoon or a knife if you prefer.
- Drain out the water.
- In a large pan, add the butter.
- Thereafter, drop in the livers & allow to fry.
- Dice an onion & add to the livers.
- Add salt to taste (not that much as the Nandos sauce includes salt as well).
- Allow for the onions to cook for about 2 minutes.
- Drop in Nandos Peri Peri sauce.
- Mix well.
- Then add in the fresh cream & combine.
- Add the Kashmiri chilli powder (optional) & cook for another minute until the fresh cream & sauce have combined well.
- Garnish with dhania (coriander) – optional.
- Serve hot, with pita bread, soft buttered roll or Nandos spicy rice.
- I served mine with pita bread.