This Venda Cuisine Food Recipe Serves 1-2
Mopane worms or Mopani worms are large edible caterpillars. It is known to be a critical wellspring of protein for a large number of indigenous Southern Africans.
It is a common dish in the Venda tribe of South Africa & most say that the taste is similar to chicken or biltong. It is also 3 times richer than that of beef when it comes to protein.
Mopane Worms Ingredients:
- 1 cup mopane worms, dried
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup of water
- In a huge dish douse (soak) the worms in 1 cup of boiling water for 60 minutes or until delicate.\
- Wash the worms a few times.
- Exchange worms to a pot of 1 cup of boiling water & oil & simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- Include the onions, tomatoes & chilli powder & stew for another 5-10 minutes until the blend thickens. Pour in more water if necessary.
- Season with salt & pepper.
Image from money web