This South African Food Recipe Serves 4-8
Burfee Soji is a South African dessert made with Taystee Wheat. Taystee Wheat is a well recognized porridge in South Africa & alternatively, if your country doesn’t stock it then you may use Semolina. It is enjoyed by many Indian cultures. Burfee Soji is actually a variation from the original Soji.
Pronunciation : barr-fee sor-jee
Burfee Soji Ingredients:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup Taystee Wheat / Semolina
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons almonds
- 4 tablespoons fresh cream
- 4 tablespoons Klim (make a paste with milk)
- 100 grams butter
- ½ teaspoon elachi powder
- ¼ teaspoon saffron
- In a large bowl, beat together the egg, milk, sugar, elachi, fresh cream & saffron.
- Melt the butter in a heavy based pot, add the milk mixture & simmer until it thickens slightly.
- Add almonds, Taystee Wheat / Semolina & Klim & mix with a wooden spoon for about 10 minutes.
- Steam on a low heat with the lid closed for another 10 minutes.
- Decorate with nuts & coconut (optional).