SOUTH AFRICAN CARROT SALAD
This South African Recipe Serves 2-3
South African Carrot Salad is very common within the Indian community in South Africa. It is a simple salad with grated carrots & a few other ingredients & is served cold. This salad accompanies curries as well as biryanis.
This South African salad can be altered in many ways simply by adding or removing ingredients. Carrots, onions & green chillies are the main ingredients of this salad & should not be replaced or removed.
South African Carrot Salad Ingredients:
- 2 carrots
- salt to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 4 green chillies, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced (optional)
- ½ cucumber (optional)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ± 4 lettuce leaves (optional)
- Peel carrots.
- Rinse carrots & cut either ends off.
- Grate carrots into a container using a grater.
- Dice tomatoes & add to the container. The tomatoes in this salad is optional.
- Chop the onions & also add to the container.
- Chop green chillies & add to the container. The amount of chillies you use will vary with the spiciness of this salad.
- Once all the ingredients are in the container, add salt to taste,sugar & vinegar & mix well.
- Alternatively you can add more ingredients to this salad, namely lettuce &/or sliced cucumbers.
- This South African Carrot Salad is a perfect side to biryanis (Mince Biryani, Chicken Biryani, Mutton Biryani, Vegetable Biryani).
- It also goes well with a variety of curries including Durban Mutton Curry, Durban Chicken Curry, Cornish Or Culls Chicken Curry & not forgetting the South African favourite, bunny chows.
Quick Tip: It is best to season this salad just before serving as it might get soggy if left for a long time. Refrigerate before & after use.