This Indian Recipe Serves 4-5
Egg Chutney is a popular Indian dish in South Africa. It is simply a dish which consists of pouched eggs in a tomato sauce (chutney).
This dish use to often be made by my mum or gran as a brunch meal on weekends. Trust me, having this meal in the morning is better than any other breakfast or brunch. Egg Chutney as with the famous sausage chutney is also good for those hangovers…it’s sure to give you that kick start for the day.
Egg Chutney is the South African term for this meal although in Northern Africa & the Middle East, this dish is known to be called Shakshouka or Shakshuka.
Egg Chutney Ingredients:
- ½ teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon dhania powder (coriander powder)
- salt to taste
- 1 onion, slivered
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 8-10 jam/rosa tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 6-7 green chillies
- 10 eggs
- fresh dhania (coriander) for garnishing (optional)
- Sliver onions & set aside.
- Slit green chillies & set aside.
- Grate tomatoes in a large bowl/dish. To grate tomatoes, simply slice tomatoes in halves & grate only the flesh of the tomatoes. Discard of the peel.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pot or pan. Drop in the onions.
- Thereafter, add in the curry leaves.
- Then drop in the green chillies.
- Simmer until onions are translucent.
- Add in the spices, dhania powder, turmeric powder & chilli powder. Also add in the ginger & garlic paste.
- Allow the spices to simmer for a minute, then drop in the grated tomatoes.
- Mix well, cover the pot or pan with a lid & allow the tomatoes to cook.
- The tomatoes should be cooked after about 15 minutes. The oil would have surfaced. Add salt to taste & the sugar. Mix well.
- Now that the tomato chutney is ready & seasoned, it’s time to add in the eggs.
- Carefully crack the eggs over the chutney. Crack them side by side so that they will cook evenly rather than one over another.
- Try not to allow the yolks to bust, but if it does, don’t worry. Cover with a lid so that the eggs can cook faster with the steam.
- When the eggs are cooked, the Egg Chutney is ready to be served. Garnish with fresh coriander if you wish.
- This meal goes best with bread, roti or phutu.