CARROT SOUR MILK SALAD
This Recipe Serves 2-4
Carrot Sour Milk Salad is an Indian salad mostly prepared in South Africa. I have been to India & unfortunately never came across this salad as in India you will mostly find Raita which is similar but does not include carrots.
Sour milk in South Africa is known as Maas to most residents.
Carrot Sour Milk Salad Ingredients:
- 2 large carrots
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2-3 green chillies
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon mayonnaise
- 150 ml sour milk (maas)
- Firstly, add the mayonnaise to a medium sized bowl/dish.
- Next, add the sour milk (maas) to the mayonnaise.
- Mix well using a spoon until both ingredients are combined. Set aside.
- Rinse & chop green chillies. Use a big pan/skillet, heat up a little oil in it & add in the green chillies.
- Thereafter, add in the mustard seeds & fry both ingredients for about 2 minutes.
- Peel & grate carrots using the big side of the grater.
- Drop in grated carrots to the pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon sugar to the carrots.
- Stir well & allow to fry for around 6-8 minutes, until the carrots are soft.
- When the carrots are soft, set the pan aside & allow the mixture to cool.
- When the mixture has cooled down, add the other tablespoon of sugar to the mayonnaise & sour milk mixture.
- Next, add in the fried carrot mixture.
- Mix well.
- Taste & add more ingredients (sugar, mayonnaise or sour milk) according to your preference.
- Place the Carrot Sour Milk Salad in the refrigerator until chilled & serve with biryanis (chicken biryani, mutton biryani, vegetable biryani & others).