BRAISED YELLOW POTATO
This Indian Recipe Serves 3-5
Braised Yellow Potato is cooked using & fresh green chillies & turmeric powder instead of chilli powder or masala. This dish is often eaten in most Indian restaurants with dosa/masala dosa or simply used as samoosa filling. It can also be enjoyed with roti’s, puri’s, soft white bread, parathas or rice.
Braised Yellow Potato Ingredients:
- 3-4 large potatoes
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 onion
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tomato
- 3-4 green chillies
- 1 teaspoon jeera seeds
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- fresh dhania (coriander) for garnishing
- Peel & cut potatoes into cubes & place into a large bowl/dish.
- Fill the bowl with water so that the potatoes do not turn a brownish colour. Set aside until ready to use.
- Peel & chop onions & set aside.
- Dice tomato & set aside.
- Slit green chillies & set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot. Add in the onions, jeera seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves & thyme. Mix & simmer until onions are translucent.
- Thereafter, add in the green chillies & the turmeric powder, stir & simmer for a minute.
- Next, add in the tomatoes. Stir & allow tomatoes to cook until soft. Add a little water if necessary.
- Once the tomatoes have cooked, add in the potatoes, discarding the water that the potatoes had been resting in.
- Give it a stir, coating all the potatoes in the spices.
- Add a little water, mix & allow the potatoes to cook until soft.
- Make sure to keep checking on the potatoes every 6-7 minutes as you do not want the bottom to get caught on the surface of the pot.
- When the potatoes are soft, turn down the heat of the stove & allow for all the water to evaporate leaving a dry consistency.
- Add salt to taste & garnish with fresh dhania (coriander).
- Best served hot.