TEX-MEX BREAKFAST CUPS
This Recipe Makes 12 Breakfast Cups
Breakfast just got so much more exciting with these awesome Tex-Mex Breakfast Cups. Who wouldn’t want to start their day with this deliciousness? It is fairly simple to prepare & the whole family will enjoy this.
Tex-Mex (from Texan and Mexican) is a combination of Mexican & American cooking styles, originating from the culinary manifestations of Tejanos.
Tex-Mex Breakfast Cups Ingredients:
For the dough:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups milk
For the filling:
- 3 sausages
- 1 cup Mexican salsa
- ½ cup cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- dried mixed herbs for garnishing (optional)
- Add the flour to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Next, add in the baking powder & the salt to the flour.
- Roughly mix & add in the butter.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour.
- Then add in the vegetable oil.
- Add in the milk & combine. A dough should form.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth & pliable.
- Place the ball of dough into a bowl/dish & cover until ready to use.
- Next, prepare the sausages by placing them into a pan with a little water. Allow the sausages to steam for 10 minutes & then allow them to fry in their own oils.
- Once they have fried, remove from the pan & set them aside to cool.
- In the time being, you can begin preparing the Mexican Salsa.
- Bring out the dough once again & place it on a floured surface.
- Roll the dough out as much as you can.
- Using a cutter or a simple glass, cut out 12 circular shapes – it should be a little bigger than the circumference of the muffin tray molds that you will be using.
- Once the circular shapes are done, you can roll it out a bit more if you desire, just don’t make it too thin.
- Spray the muffin tray with spray & cook or grease them with a little butter.
- Take each circular shaped dough & lay it into each of the muffin tray molds.
- Next, crumble up the sausages using your hands.
- Place about a teaspoon of the crumbled sausages into the dough cups.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl.
- Add in the milk.
- Beat the egg & milk using a fork.
- Spoon equal amounts of the egg mix into the sausage filled cups.
- Next, spoon in some Mexican salsa.
- Finally, top with some grated cheese.
- Bake these Tex-Mex Breakfast Cups in the oven for 30 minutes at 120°C or 248°F.
- Remove from the hot tray onto a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle some dried mixed over them (optional).
- Enjoy these Tex-Mex Breakfast Cups as is or as a side. Can also be enjoyed with a side of Classic Guacamole.